- SUNLIGHT March 14, 2016SUNLIGHT You stand against the sky, today a springtime blue. Golden sunlight sparkles in your hair. That ray of sun, sent to Earth, raced through the galaxy at the speed of light. It landed here. It landed on you. ~ Cheryl Unruh
- Mid-Winter in Kansas January 29, 2016To celebrate Kansas Day, I was on Kansas Public Radio today with this piece: Finding Hope in The Bleak Mid-Winter of Kansas.
- Notable 2015 June 15, 2015***** ********** I’m happy to announce that my second book of essays about Kansas, Waiting on the Sky, has been selected as a 2015 Kansas Notable Book! Here’s the list of Kansas books/books by Kansas authors selected as Notable Books this year. To order a copy of Waiting on the Sky, click here. *****
- Fred’s Derby February 12, 2015FRED’S DERBY When I moved to this town, Fred’s Derby was the place for eggs and hash browns when the bars closed down at 3 a.m. Fred’s had been there forever, a long, white building, windows on the highway side of the diner, dead flies on the window sill, sad plastic bottles […]
- ABOVE US ONLY SKY February 12, 2015Today’s poem…. ABOVE US, ONLY SKY On summer days kids point to clouds – fiery dragons and sleeping bears, perhaps a dog chasing a butterfly. Far off, along the horizon, the sky sometimes makes jagged, purple clouds, mountain majesties, the only mountains we see in Kansas. Then October’s long barrels of […]